[clug] Next CLUG meeting - August 28

Stephen Hocking stephen.hocking at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 20:58:06 UTC 2016

Yes Mike,

It was a lot of fun. I'd encouraged a co-worker to turn up, but he had the
flu.

I tried building sdr-j, but after installing all the packages cmake griped
about on Fedora24, it would coredump on startup. There may be a mismatch
between what I removed from the CMakefiles.txt  and the .pro file for Qt.
There's a  rtlsdr_scan program available in the packages for Fedora that
does something vaguely interesting that could bear further investigation.

On 26 August 2016 at 06:44, Mike Carden <mike.carden at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Best. CLUG. Ever. (IMHO, and I've been to a few).
>

> Thank Bob - high praise indeed!
>
> Thanks to everyone who mucked in and had a go.Thanks Stephen for the link
> to more dump1090 software (looks like I have something to try this weekend)
> and to both Bob and Stephen for their successful demonstrations of the
> Cranial Groundplane vertical antenna.
>
> A couple of things. I realised as i was driving home why my shinysdr demo
> was so poor. Remember I mentioned that the last thing I was listening to
> was an amateur radio 2m repeater? Well, that's Narrow Band FM and when I
> went hunting FM broadcast stations I neglected to switch back to Wide Band
> FM. So Operator Error.
>
> Also, I guess I never really emphasised the software things I was trying to
> get to. Ideally, I wanted everyone to try:
>
> * shinysdr for a nice GUI general purpose radio receiver.
> * dump1090 to look at nearby aircraft
> * sdr-j to listen to DAB+ digital radio
>
> In particular, sdr-j can be a bit tricky to get going with a bit of
> tweaking of the .pro file needed before compiling the code in order to make
> it happy. I'd intended to shoulder-surf anyone trying this and attempt to
> offer assistance.
>
> So if you do give sdr-j a go and have trouble building it, please feel free
> to email me and I will do what I can to point you in the right direction.
> I'm no expert, but I did get it going on the Pi and on Korora without too
> much trouble.
>
> And just like Stephen did, if anyone finds any more interesting software
> out there with which to do more fun stuff with a Realtek dongle, please
> share so we can all check it out.
>
> Finally, the link in my notes file to the greatscottgadgets web site will
> take you to a brilliant and accessible series of instructional videos that
> will give you a much deeper understanding of SDR and digital signal
> processing. Highly recommended.
>
> Thanks,
> MC
> --

  "I and the public know
  what all schoolchildren learn
  Those to whom evil is done
  Do evil in return"		W.H. Auden, "September 1, 1939"