[clug] Any Small USB Wifi Adaptors of AP?

Rodney Peters rodneyp at iinet.net.au
Mon Aug 15 05:47:36 UTC 2016

On Monday, 15 August 2016 14:47:00 AEST Chris Smart wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 10:52:16AM +1000, Bob Edwards wrote:
> >What about a USB extension cable to get you clear of the 20mm sideways
> >constraint? I have several USB WiFi dongles acting as APs in two
> >situations, and in both cases, the dongle is mounted well clear of the
> >hosting laptop on a (in my case, shortish) USB extension cable.
>
> There are also right-angle USB adapters around that might suit.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/QIBOX-Female-Adapter-Extension-Degree/dp/B00FQ7IJT6/r
> ef=pd_bxgy_147_img_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DQ836HNP2FPCMEE19NJ9
>
> Side thought, how strong is the wifi signal on those little nano wifi
> adapters?
>
> -c
I've seen suggestions that polarization of signal is important too.  All
stations should have the same, usually vertical, plus an adaptor behind a
metal case could be somewhat shielded.

1/4 wavelength for 2.4 GHz is about 32 mm.  Shortish adaptors possibly OK, but
the nano ones  might be less effective.

Rod