[clug] Desktop environments for CLUG topic 28th April

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Wed Apr 20 09:59:57 UTC 2016

    Hi all,

I am hoping the topic for 28th April is still "Desktop Environments
and GUIs".

I am looking forward to what you want to contribute to the topic.  I
would like to see a follow on topic for next month to be about the
various applications you use and why is it that you use the
applications over and above other applications that may do similar
functions.

I am putting together a very small Impress slide show (only three
slides so far and there is some overlap between slides).

Below the topic points are to provide a basis for general discussion
(this Linux List has been a bit quite the last few days), so if you
have time, please contribute your thoughts about what you look for in
an Operating System, and what OS do you use and why.

Slide 1
"User's purpose for using a computer" - why or for what purpose do you
use your computer?  To be honest I have never though much about this
before, and when I did, it was mostly for 1) email 5%, 2) researching,
building and testing computer systems 94.9%.  Other things like
playing games, watching movies (youtube, etc), social media, random
topic Internet searching are things I have seen others do, but are
quite rare for me.

"User's personal preferences and styles of working" - For me an
operating system allows me to run multiple applications at once, in
separate free-floating Windows that can be arranged in whatever
position and size that enables me to use them most effectively, switch
between the applications, has a simple menu for finding and launching
an application, and displays useful information like current time,
date, network status, volume control, power status, screen switcher,
screen capture.

"Computer – Phone, Tablet, Laptop, Desktop, Server" - I guess I have
used all of these, but the Desktop would be 90%, with 2% server, 5%
Laptop (i.e. portable desktop), 1% phone, 2% Tablet.  Because I
mainly use a computer as a desktop and object to touch screens for
desktops/laptops, I loathe any Desktop user interface features that
even remotely exist only to have a similarity to that of a
phone/tablet [touch screen device].

"Choices provided by the Operating System" - The more flexible the
configuration of the Desktop Environment is for user preferences, the
more happy I am, I can spend much time choosing the set up that
appeals to me. Choice is great.  Maybe not in a large enterprise
where help desk staff need to assist users.

"Object  From: Steven Hanley