[clug] Linux on atom processor

Chris Smart clug at christophersmart.com
Sat Apr 2 09:58:25 UTC 2016

On Sat, Apr 02, 2016 at 09:02:04AM +0300, Adrian Blake wrote:
> I recently acquired an new netbook running win 10 . I though it should be
> an easy matter to install linux. How wrong I was. Some details and then
> suggestions please.
> The machine is Irbis TW45 It uses an Atom Z3735G processor, and this I
> believe is the problem. It also uses UEFI or BIOS boot.

That CPU is a quad core 64bit Atom CPU with Intel HD Graphics, so it
should support Linux quite well (apart from being slow). Looks like your
mainboard supports UEFI and BIOS boot, so you also shouldn't have any
problems with a bootloader (which you would if it was 32bit only UEFI).

> I can get to a point in an Ubuntu distro where I have a choice to run live
> or install. A few lines and then blank. The USB device is being read but
> still nothing.

Have you checked your install media (like a boot and verify)? That CPU
does seem to only support 1GB memory, perhaps that's not enough for
Ubuntu? Have you tried a more lightweight desktop option like Xfce?

When it crashes, can you still switch to tty1 and see if the kernel had
a problem?

> Any experience or suggestions.

No experience with that specific setup, but maybe if you can reply with
some more details we could try to see what's going on.

-c

> Adrian
>
> --
> Adrian Blake