[clug] Advice about buying a new laptop

Rodney Peters rodneyp at iinet.net.au
Tue Sep 22 01:44:08 UTC 2015

I doubt this will be an issue with contempory laptops.  These are likely to be running Win 8.x *64
bit* and if not then I suggest that a buyer move on to the next item in the shop - because 64 bit
is where the action is - indeed, many distro are no longer producing a 32 bit desktop-oriented
release.

AFAIK, all Win 8 implementations need UEFI and practically all UEFI machines come partitioned
with GPT, which allows 128 primary partitions.  Mine came with 6 primary partitions already -
openSUSE installer elected to shrink the main one and create 3 addtional.   I later shrunk further
and now have 11 primaries, enabling me to triple-boot ROSA as well as openSUSE & Win 8.1.

Your HP desktop might have been an earlier model that came with obsolescent MS DOS disk
label (partition table).  These were problematic, althought not impossible to dual-boot.  In the
case of a desktop simply install a second HDD for Linux only (and GPT it to boot - no pun
intended)

Rod