[clug] Advice about buying a new laptop

jhock at iinet.net.au jhock at iinet.net.au
Tue Sep 22 01:22:44 UTC 2015

I have had two Asus EeePCs and they were both very easy to convert to Ubuntu (they came with Windows OS). I just had to answer seven easy questions to fully install Ubuntu. I did not bother with dual boot.

We bought an HP desktop for our son. I tried to load dual boot with Ubuntu but the way Windows was configured in multiple partitions it didn't work. I'm not patient enough to try and solve the problem so I uninstalled Ubuntu and left the HP to its own fate without my intervention.

I would suggest asking how the operating system is partitioned onto the hard drive as it may be very difficult to install another OS if it's all over the place.

John.

---- Rodney Peters wrote ----