[clug] October CLUG - Thursday Oct 22 - Lightning talks - short focused fun for all

Bob Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Oct 8 01:55:13 UTC 2015

On 08/10/15 12:33, Steven Hanley wrote:
> All
>
> So no one keen on this idea?
>
> No proposals/talks reeceived so far.
>
> Also I have just realised I will be in Adelaide that day so can not attend
> the meeting.
>
> 	See You
> 	    Steve

I actually find lightning talks somewhat frustrating. I understand that
some find it a source of entertainment, and in a large audience you have
different audience dynamics to contend with, but I wonder how effective
they are at getting ideas and information across? Maybe I am just
getting old...

I would be happy to do a short (5 - 10min) talk or two on stuff that
I am working on. I don't really want the "pressure" of keeping it to
whatever the stupidly short time limit is that lightning talks usually
go for, and I think that a short question time at the end (of each
talk) is useful.

I'd think maybe a 15 min. slot with up to 10 mins of presentation and
time for questions might be a more useful format for a smaller
gathering like CLUG.

I could talk on:
  - building a portable "FreedomBox"-like appliance
  - writing a small recursive YAML parser in C (for fun)
  - hacking on FOSS games for Linux (something I know little about...)
  - other stuff

I will/can be there on the 22nd.

cheers,

Bob Edwards.