[clug] October CLUG - Thursday Oct 22 - Lightning talks - short focused fun for all

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Thu Oct 8 03:09:01 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 08, 2015 at 12:55:13PM +1100, Bob Edwards wrote:
> On 08/10/15 12:33, Steven Hanley wrote:
> >All
> >
> >So no one keen on this idea?
> >
> >No proposals/talks reeceived so far.
> >
> >Also I have just realised I will be in Adelaide that day so can not attend
> >the meeting.
> >
> >	See You
> >	    Steve
> >

> I actually find lightning talks somewhat frustrating. I understand that
> some find it a source of entertainment, and in a large audience you have
> different audience dynamics to contend with, but I wonder how effective
> they are at getting ideas and information across? Maybe I am just
> getting old...
>
> I would be happy to do a short (5 - 10min) talk or two on stuff that
> I am working on. I don't really want the "pressure" of keeping it to
> whatever the stupidly short time limit is that lightning talks usually
> go for, and I think that a short question time at the end (of each
> talk) is useful.
>
> I'd think maybe a 15 min. slot with up to 10 mins of presentation and
> time for questions might be a more useful format for a smaller
> gathering like CLUG.

That is along the lines of what I would like to see, some format that could
encourage a few more people to talk baout interesting stuff they are working
on/involved with, some feedback time.  The idea of lightning talks is to
present an idea to a large audience and then they can chase you up for a
chat one on one later.  However in a venue like CLUG it would indeed
probably work better to a) not limit with a counter/timer to 5 minutes and
b) encoruage some questions/discussion for each speaker.

Am hoping something along these lines could encourage a few people who are
not keen on talking for 50 minutes or more to discuss some cool stuff they
are involved with and we get a few good discussion topics from a single night
of a few presentations.

	See You
	    Steve