[clug] Home automation interest

Neil Pickford neilp at goldweb.com.au
Thu Nov 12 12:01:50 UTC 2015

Paul

I have a Solahart 302J which I have added a 3rd K panel to so I suppose
it is a 303JK - Anyway - See the picture.
<http://happy.emu.id.au/neilp/solar/100_4226cr80.jpg>

The best location for a temperature sensor is the Tank Anode.  This
gives you the mid tank temperature and is similar to the temperature
being sensed by the element thermostat.

The Tank anode is a long Zinc rod that runs horizontally up the centre
of the inner tank that contains the HOT water.
It has a large 32mm ish Flat head Hex Bolt shape on the end where it
screws into the steel tank.
See:
<http://www.lavykim.com/wp1/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/AnodeLocation.png>
To get to this you need to remove the plastic plate on the end of the
tank with the electricity and water supply/outlet pipes.

DON'T FORGET TO ISOLATE THE ELECTRICITY before removing this cover as
there are exposed power connections under the cover.  The outside of the
tank and anode should be earthed back via the electricity connections.

I use a bit of foam pipe insulation cable tied around the Anode head to
hold a DS18B20 firmly against the Anode Head.
You can buy a waterproof DS18B20 connected to a cable stub
<http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v1/660029215_1/5pcs-Lot-Waterproof-DS18B20-Digital-Temperature-Sensor-Probe-100cm-Wire-Cable-Free-Shipping-Dropshipping.jpg>
or in my case I buy the DS18B20s for less than $7 & make my own
waterproof end.
When I prepare each DS18B20 for deployment I solder a shielded cable to
the 3 pins Vdd (5V), Data, Ground (shield)
<http://www.ermicro.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/picaxe_11.jpg>
and then enclose the end of the cable and pins in 5 minute araldite
epoxy making thin layer over the sensor body complete but fairly thin so
there is not too much thermal insulation.

The other useful location I suggest is on the hot water pipe leading out
of the tank, but away from the tank, as this can show you and the
software with the top tank temperature of the drawn water and timing of
water usage information, that could assist you predicting a schedule of
when to boost the tank to be ready for normal usage.

Cheers Neil VK1NP