[clug] Shell scripting problem using 'process substitution' [ >( pipeline ) ]

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Wed Nov 11 22:12:35 UTC 2015

Following a line problem, I have a monitoring script running on a low-power Linux box that uses wget to get the stats page from my (ADSL) Netcomm router/firewall.
The script runs continuously and I rsync the file back to another machine.
"Just because", the monitoring script only ever appends to the file, so it gets large.

Looking at the data, I could break the file into “per day” files, and then analyse them.
It’s easier admin to leave everything in the one file and just select the day/s I want to process.
[Manually stop / start the monitor & break-out the days into their own files. Can’t do this solely on the destination m/c because of ‘rsync’.]

I found myself running the same grep (for the day) twice over the long file & counting different things, and wondered if there was a way to use a pipeline. There is no performance reason to do this - doesn’t take much time, it’s “just because” :)
[A problem I had encountered for work a few times and never came up with a solution I liked.]

I’ve got two variants below that work, but I’m not happy with the result…
To see something useful, the ">( process )” have to write to STDERR (or /dev/tty).

If I pipe the output of the ‘inner’ count to STDOUT, then it gets sucked up by the next step in the main pipeline and I won’t see it.

I _could_ play with file descriptors (clone STDOUT to FD-3 for ‘inner processes' and STDOUT of last process to /dev/null at the end), but that seems a bit clumsy.

The fragment as it is now can’t be ‘just used’ in a pipeline because it doesn’t output to STDOUT [throws it away], but STDERR.

Anyone do anything like this?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance

steve

Using two outputs to STDERR
> for i in {10..12}
> do d=15-11-${i}; echo $d
>    grep "$d" netcomm-link-SNR | tee >( (echo 'tot: ' `wc -l`) >&2 ) >( (echo 'drops: ' `grep '0$'|wc -l`) >&2 )|cat >/dev/null
> done

variant: one output to STDERR
> grep "$d" netcomm-link-SNR|tee >( (echo 'tot: ' `wc -l`) >&2 ) |(echo 'drops: ' `grep '0$'|wc -l`)

File Descriptor Fiddling. Haven’t tried this properly… Has the problem of connecting to later process with a pipe.
 the last /dev/null creates a problem.

--
Steve Jenkin, IT Systems and Design
0412 786 915 (+61 412 786 915)