[clug] Home automation interest

Neil Pickford neilp at goldweb.com.au
Wed Nov 11 11:20:32 UTC 2015

Hi Paul
I am monitoring a Solahart system (have been for about 6 years) using
Linux, One wire sensors, OWFS, Cron, RRDtool & Shell Scripts.  The One
wire interface into Linux machine is via a standard RS232 serial port
from a Onewire converter or master hub.

See <http://happy.emu.id.au:8430/>

I am using Dallas One Wire DS18B20 temperature sensors,
One wire counters (wind & rain [future water/gas]), and
a One Wire A/D converter card (wind direction).  The A/D board has
inputs & outputs on it too that could control your contractor.

Most of the One wire infrastructure (Master Hub, Counters, A/D
converter, Relay board) is available from Hobby Boards.
<http://www.hobby-boards.com/>

My system is just monitoring and pretty agricultural in the shells
scripting, However if you can figure out how to process numbers in shell
or another language you could easily program some automation of the
Bypass relay.

Happy to share scripting and system setup info.

The location to place your key temperature sensors is:
a) on the anode of the Solahart tank. (Mid tank temp)
<http://happy.emu.id.au:8430/temps/Last_Week_tankanode.png>
b) on the hot water pipe feeding your house (mine is at the inlet to the
solar tempering valve).
This gives a good indication when hot water is being used.  See spikey
brown curve.
<http://happy.emu.id.au:8430/temps/Last_24_Hours_roofspacehw.png>

Or you can look at all the temperatures together :)
<http://happy.emu.id.au:8430/temps/Last_2_Days_temps.png>

There is a thread on CLUG about this in Feb/March 2010 " [clug] Linux
compatible external Thermometer via OWFS"

Cheers Neil VK1NP.