[clug] Memory issues

Paul Rands lists at paulrands.com
Thu May 28 20:30:52 MDT 2015

Hi Guys,

I wanted to try here first before I waste hours Googling
and trawling umpteen forums with a problem with memory running out.

have an AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor system, quad core, running at
3 GHz. 6 GB RAM. Oodles of hard disk space. Linux Mint Mate 17.

I am
finding whenever I have GIMP or Chrome running for long periods I tend
to suddenly run low on memory and the machine is busy swapping to hard
disk all the time. Sometimes I can recover by closing some tabs or
programs other times the computer eventually hangs.

I have found
Chrome sometimes doesn't close its tab instances properly when checking
in the System Monitor.

I am hoping for some suggestions / ideas, that
might help resolve things. I use Chrome because it keeps everything in
one account and one browser across Linux, iOS, Mac OS, Windows and
Android.

Thanks in advance

Paul Rands
lists at paulrands.com