[clug] Samba transfer performance issue

Swd sweetthdevil at gmail.com
Sat May 2 17:29:39 MDT 2015

Hi All,

I am turning to you guys, because after several weeks or trying to sort
out the slow transfer from my arch desktop from samba share I am out of
ideas. I get 300kb/s on average from the desktop and 3.5mb/s onto the
desktop.

The home setup -
Desktop:  Archlinux (Asus P5Q Turbo motherboard) - cabled connection
Router: Virgin Media SuperHub 2
Nas: GoFlex Home - running archlinux ARM - cabled connection

Now I have samba shares setup on both my desktop and my goflex (on same
network) While accessing video files from either phone (LG G3) or tablet
(Nexus 10) the videos load instantly from the NAS - however the videos
from the desktop load slowing and keep stoping to buffer every 30
secondes or so.
Checking the smb.conf from the NAS, no tweaks were needed so no tweaks
can be taken from there.
Please see below desktop smb.conf and various options tried with no
affect at all.

Looking forward for your suggestion or hopefully solution.
Many thanks,

Current:
[global]
     workgroup = MYGROUP
     server string = Samba Server
     log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
     max log size = 50
     dns proxy = No
     wins support = Yes
     idmap config * : backend = tdb
     valid users = username
     admin users = username
     read raw = yes
     write raw = yes

Option tried with different variant
[global]
     workgroup = MYGROUP
     server string = Samba Server
     log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
     max log size = 50
     dns proxy = No
     wins support = Yes
     idmap config * : backend = tdb
     valid users = username
     admin users = username
     read raw = yes
     write raw = yes
     strict locking = No
     socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=131072
SO_SNDBUF=131072
     oplocks = true
     Read size = 16384