[clug] wireless access point

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 18:05:06 MDT 2015

On 01/07/15 09:44, Michael Still wrote:
> I don't know about in Australia, but I have a friend in the US who
> just discovered he can access his neighbour's ethernet-over-power
> network. So, security might be a concern unless you know what you're
> doing.
>
> Michael
>
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 3:34 PM,  <freds72 at softhome.net> wrote:
>>
>> As Steve said, ethernet over powerline seems to work well.  My son in law is
>> playing games over it, and

>>says it doesn't affect lag;  just seems to work.

Pete - does he have encryption enabled? (it generally does significantly
slow down transfers).

>> cheers
>> Pete
>> --

When encryption is enabled EOP is "reasonably" secure (dependent on the
type of encryption and deployment, though not as secure as "ethernet
cables").

The main problems are that many people: disable encryption because it
slows transfer rates; don't understand that it's a "sloppy" information
transfer method - most of the signal travels along the power lines but
some is transmitted as short wave radio (so it's not just nearby
properties that can intercept your communications via their power cables
- it can also be intercepted by radio transceivers i.e. $12 sdr devices).

I note that all transmissions over cable emit some radio (as does all
"switching") - POE is relatively "strong". The radio hams on this list
would know more of this.

As has been pointed out by many before: convenience is (often) the enemy
of security; everyone's "computer" is of value to someone (so don't say
"I have nothing anyone would want").

Kind regards