[clug] wireless access point

Bob Edwards Robert.Edwards at anu.edu.au
Tue Jun 30 18:02:44 MDT 2015

On 01/07/15 09:44, Michael Still wrote:
> I don't know about in Australia, but I have a friend in the US who
> just discovered he can access his neighbour's ethernet-over-power
> network. So, security might be a concern unless you know what you're
> doing.
>
> Michael

I used to _provide_ Internets to my neighbour over Ethernet over Power.

We both have 3-phase, so needed to find a common phase to use, but it
generally worked quite well.

But, as Michael points out, there are security issues which the
Ethernet over Power standards are a bit behind on addressing as
compared to WAP2 etc.

These days I do the same thing using WiFi, with a re-purposed laptop
(an old EEEPC) acting as a router running Debian (GNU/Linux) Wheezy
(yeah - got the Linux reference in there!) with an external USB WiFi
dongle, associating to their WAP and doing all their DHCP, NAT etc.
(and "loosely" counting bytes...).

cheers,

Bob Edwards.