[clug] Thursday afternoon Perl/bash golf time

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 07:02:01 MDT 2015

On 11/06/15 21:59, Peter Barker wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jun 2015, Andrew Janke wrote:
>

>> On 11 June 2015 at 16:51, Peter Barker <pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au>
>> wrote:
>>> Good idea!
>>>

>>> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
>>
>> I've used something close to this.
>
> It also occured to me this-afternoon that it should be possible to use
> something like btrfs to paste extents of a file together.
>
> I'm not the first person to think of that; google for BTRFS_IOC_CLONE_RANGE
>
> I was unable to find anyone who'd managed to do it.

You might be able to copy some functionality from buttersink to get at
that, um, not extensively documented API:-
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/buttersink/

I've also seen the suggestion:-
http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1226135

if the initial cp -a --reflink was followed by a cp >> would that work?

> Of course, you've probably replaced your fairly simple "cat files
> together" to "move everyone to another filesystem" and possibly "move
> everyone to another operating system"....

> Yours,

Kind regards