[clug] Windows 10 upgrade

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 01:37:08 MDT 2015

On 03/06/15 16:22, George at Clug wrote:
>     Scott,
>
> I liked your comment "unhappy and unproductive users, and stressed
> help desk staff being asked
> to support the unsupportable"
>
> This does remind me of my experiences with Windows 8.x, and OneDrive
> for Business.
>
> I was getting more and more exasperated trying to make these products
> work until I leaned that they were not actually supposed to work.

I suspect the developers wanted to make them work... but the majority of
the market wouldn't upgrade the OEM/pre-installed Windows version which
doesn't lead to new development contracts... hence the new "forever"
(stuck) model.

Cynics might say that the marketing pitch of "where do you want to go
tomorrow" (as opposed to "where do you want to go today, tomorrow never
comes") says it all (perfection is always one more upgrade away?).

> Sadly, though the users did not believe me and still expected that
> they were supposed to work as advertised.  I am reminded of the the
> "Sea Monkeys" and "Xray Glasses" that were advertised in kid's comic
> books when I was younger.

OK, the "Sea Monkeys" were a sort of lice, not actual primates, but they
did "live" when mixed with water. I never ordered the Xray glasses.

> Thanks for your comments and humor, George.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to express an alternative opinion
to marketing. :)

Kind regards