[clug] PLEASE HELP! I have angered the network printing gods!

Rodney Peters rodneyp at iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 2 20:04:41 MDT 2015

I've been using two Brother multi-functions (laser + inkjet) for several years
without major issues as *wired* network devices.  But I gave up last year when
asked to install a mono laser as Wifi.  Seemed to me that there was a classic
"catch 22" - you must install the Wifi setup via another mechanism -  wired
network/USB/control panel - then change the config to Wifi (the printer can't
do both Wifi & wired simultaneously)  Too bad if you have the Wifi config
wrong because then get into protracted loop of troubleshooting via USB/control
panel and I could not get any useful result via either.

I find that the most reliable way to install Brother drivers is at good old
CLI.  Suggest you follow the directions at:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=au&lang=en&prod=hl3170cdw_all&os=128

I find it best to use the "driver installer tool" - otherwise the queue
defaults to USB - and the job hangs around forever if sent via other media.
The tool does require that you specify a DeviceURI for a network printer,
which for WiFi probably requires pre-setting same via the panel.

BTW, if you must uninstall the drivers then it is most reliably done via
Brother's CLI tool - otherwise configs get left hanging around.

Rod