[clug] Openmoko Networking Setup

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Mon Jan 26 15:21:39 MST 2015

Hello Bryan

On 01/27/2015 12:11 AM, Bryan Kilgallin wrote:
> The first code line below seems to be setting up the PC end. Though I
> don't know what "/24" is for.
> The second code line seems to be linking this. Though I don't know
> what "up" is for.
> The next code line seems to specify that the host computer to be
> logged-into is the phone.
> And the final code line I get as logging in to the phone. Which I
> gather has to be by secure means (SSH).

The /24 is shorthand for the netmask, and is used to describe to the
networking stack the size of the IP pool the address is in. The longhand
way of describing the /24 mask is '255.255.255.0'

The "up" is telling the network stack to turn the interface on, or bring
it "up".

The route command is telling the networking stack that there is route
needed internal to the host to access the phone's IP via the interface.
Without this line, the PC's networking stack will attempt to find the
phone via the local LAN, which the phone is not connected to.

your assumptions on the last line are correct.