[clug] X-Forwarding between two boxes via a third using reverse ssh problem

Hal Ashburner hal at ashburner.info
Sun Jan 18 21:15:11 MST 2015

On 19 January 2015 at 15:10, Scott Ferguson
<scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19/01/15 14:08, Hal Ashburner wrote:
>> remote box
>> $ ssh -X -R  8888:localhost:22 my_laptop
>>
>> note that there is an .ssh/config that has a proxycommand
>
> Bingo!  Many thanks - I overlooked that option. It looks like the likely
> solution.
>
> I'm (more than?) a little confused though.
>
> The setup I use is:-
> remote box
> autossh -M 10984 -o PubkeyAuthentication=yes -o
> PasswordAuthentication=no -i .ssh/nopwd -X -R 6666:localhost:22
> remote at gateway_box -p 222

Lost me here, I don't know anything about autossh and don't have time
just now to change that fact.

> which is the equivalent(?) of:-
> ssh -R 6666:localhost:22 gateway_box
>
> So if I added to ~/.ssh/config on my, local box:-
> Host remote_laptop
>         proxycommand ssh -W %h:%p gateway_box
>
> I don't see how the connection would work.... or did you mean
> gateway_box instead of my_laptop in the first remote box example?

No, no correction. That is actually what I "did"
Those are the actual commands I tested for you with the actual results.

At no stage did I ever touch the gateway box or directly ssh to it.

Give it at try as written substituting the relevant hostnames and see
how you go? Should take you about 3 minutes to test.
Don't forget the -v switch to ssh if you have troubles.

All the best.
Hal