[clug] X-Forwarding between two boxes via a third using reverse ssh problem

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 21:10:14 MST 2015

On 19/01/15 14:08, Hal Ashburner wrote:
> remote box
> $ ssh -X -R  8888:localhost:22 my_laptop
>
> note that there is an .ssh/config that has a proxycommand

Bingo!  Many thanks - I overlooked that option. It looks like the likely
solution.

I'm (more than?) a little confused though.

The setup I use is:-
remote box
autossh -M 10984 -o PubkeyAuthentication=yes -o
PasswordAuthentication=no -i .ssh/nopwd -X -R 6666:localhost:22
remote at gateway_box -p 222

which is the equivalent(?) of:-
ssh -R 6666:localhost:22 gateway_box

So if I added to ~/.ssh/config on my, local box:-
Host remote_laptop
	proxycommand ssh -W %h:%p gateway_box

I don't see how the connection would work.... or did you mean
gateway_box instead of my_laptop in the first remote box example?

Current setup:-
remote = remote_box (mobile connection somewhere in NT)
middle = gateway_box (static connection in Sydney)
local = mobile_laptop (mobile connection in the ACT)

remote creates reverse ssh tunnel to middle (preferably with X Forwarding)

local connects to middle, and from there to remote via localhost:6666

> through a
> gateway to get to my_laptop, the gateway is headless, the possibly
> relevant part of the config is below.
> --------
> Host my_laptop
>     user hal
>     proxycommand ssh -W %h:%p gateway_box
> -------
>

> then on my_laptop
> $ ssh -X localhost -p 8888

That makes sense, but I'm confused because in my case remote box has no
way of knowing the IP address of my_laptop (it's a DHCP internet
connection usually).

> on the resulting prompt from the last command
> [ remote_box ]$ xeyes
>
> seemed to work in getting xeyes up on my local screen.
>
> Can you do something like that?

I'd certainly like to, and will try this evening if the remote user can
get a signal.

I hope that if I can get X Forwarding working simply, then I can use the
same config (without the -X) to enable X2Go so they can share the
desktop for help with application use.

> On 19 January 2015 at 13:12, Scott Ferguson
> <scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I need to support some GUI apps on a remote laptop connected to the
>> internet using a USB connection to an Android phone, and/or public wifi
>> hotspots (so port-forwarding on an ADSL modem is not a solution).
>> Connections are routinely very slow as the user is usually in remote
>> locations.

<snipped>

Kind regards