[clug] Full Circle

Bryan Kilgallin bryan at netspeed.com.au
Tue Jan 13 09:00:08 MST 2015

I have been reading the English edition of Issue #11.
http://dl.fullcirclemagazine.org/issue11_en.pdf
It was also published in Chinese, French, Hungarian, Italian and
Traditional Chinese.
http://fullcirclemagazine.org/issue-11/

The busy cover was about Linux distributions, a music player and encryption.

The news section was packed with Ubuntu software upgrades, and a game.
There were also news of a communication device for the elderly, and a
subnotebook.

An article compared the features of Ubuntu and Linux Mint, being
especially glowing about the latter!

Having forgotten a PIN when I had `flu, I was unconvinced by the article
on encrypting volumes!

A cluttered contents page listed lots of how-to articles.

The first was a technical article on compiling music-playing software to
enable use of a locked MP3 player. The lead-up to installing a script on
the iPod, looked complicated! And I was unfamiliar with Amarok. Still
the procedure was reportedly error-prone. :-(

Following this was another technical article on typesetting. Though I
found the LaTeX code readable. It seems a long time since I laid out a
complex page for print!

A technical article was on Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol and
Windows interoperability. It started with adding a subnet to a server.
Next was creating a Windows shared directory. Lastly the file share
needed technical configuration.

The editorial was welcoming.

A long but readable article reviewed Ubuntu on a laptop. Unable to get
the built-in wireless working, the author plugged in a wireless card! As
the default DVD player wouldn't work, he installed a different video
player. But after every Ubuntu security update--he had to rebuild his
audio software!

A readable article distinguished between distributions and Linux.

A boy described his family's conversion to Linux. But they still used
Wine for office applications!

An interviewed Italian developer had a messy desktop, but a spiffy neat
desk! He was enthusiastic about packaging and localising for Italians.
And he explained how he learned to maintain packages.

The woman's article was about functional decomposition. I like being
organised!

The youth mentioned the OpenMoko phone. He promoted consumer choice.

The letter of the month complained about video codecs. I found the other
letters varied and amusing!

The question-and-answer section was helpful. As recommended, I tweaked
my file manager's preview preferences.

Divergent desktops were on an ASUS laptop and a custom PC! The laptop's
extensively tweaked screen appearance looked pleasant and original.
Whereas the PC desktop looked pretty.

Side-scrolling jump & bump games, and a shooter were reviewed. I
installed an open source/freeware applications portal.

The magazine ended with credits and invitation to input.

--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/