[clug] Fwd: Re: DIY cloud services?

Bryan Kilgallin bryan at netspeed.com.au
Sun Feb 15 01:08:43 MST 2015

Again, George:

> There is a general rule of thumb that I use, "if you can access your
> data from anywhere in the world, then your data is available for
> anyone in the world to access", any security measures that you apply
> are only filters to inhibit those who cannot find ways around your
> security, or as discouragements those who do have the skill but do not
> consider the value of your data worth the effort you have made it.

That global access is an unnecessary vulnerability--unless the owner is
a commercial traveller needing access from elsewhere! This is in my
opinion a design fault. I would rather exchange media in person. You
could for example deliver a package to the other party's locked home
mailbox.

> However realise that there are those who simply love the challenge and
> have little regards for any value your data may have.

This is why I suggest using an old-fashioned, low tech solution!

-- www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/