[clug] DIY cloud services?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Sat Feb 14 16:10:05 MST 2015

On 15 Feb 2015, at 10:01, jhock at iinet.net.au wrote:

> I have thought that having an encrypted hard disk as a cloud, stored at a good friends home, (and visa versa) would be a great way of backing up our data without the multinationals having my data. But how does one achieve this? I'll have to ask a few of my friends who are still in the IT business.

The simple pre-cloud option would be a low-power server that simply mounts the encrypted volume and gives you access via SSH. You and your friend would need to provide suitable firewall traversal.

Then use a system such as Rsync snapshots for backups (and since you’ll be SSH-ing into the server you don’t need to store passwords anywhere on the remote system).

There’s no need to use something as complicated as OwnCloud if all you want to do is back up your file system.