[clug] DIY cloud services?

jhock at iinet.net.au jhock at iinet.net.au
Sat Feb 14 16:01:11 MST 2015

Hi Paul,

I'm also interested in setting up my own cloud.

The current post on "The end of the personal computer is nigh " indicates, in my opinion, the only good thing about storing data on a cloud is that it is a backup in case of disaster. For example, if a fire destroys everything then one can restore the information from the cloud.

I have thought that having an encrypted hard disk as a cloud, stored at a good friends home, (and visa versa) would be a great way of backing up our data without the multinationals having my data. But how does one achieve this? I'll have to ask a few of my friends who are still in the IT business.

I'll get back to you of it find out more but in the meantime I'm keen to hear what others think.

Thanks.

John.

Sent from my Sony Xperia™ smartphone

---- Paul Wilson wrote ----