[clug] Photo management?

Jeff NotTelling smee.heee at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 14:43:21 UTC 2015

G'Day Chris,

On 22 December 2015 at 19:14, Chris Smart <clug at christophersmart.com> wrote:

> What do people use for photo management (that works well)?

Very interested to hear any results, as I've been looking for a while.

> I have
> thousands of photos from dozens of different devices on a network share
> which I need to make useful somehow - that is, if you want to look up
> people or events or such you can do so from a range of devices.
>
> I currently, predominately, use digiKam.  It works ok enough, it is
tedious to go through and tag people, and seems to be extremely CPU
intensive.  Note that I might be going about the tagging wrong, but have
used it to a minimal amount.  I haven't been consistent with this as I am
not convinced it is worth the effort, still waiting for a better option I
think.  digiKam has greatly improved with recent versions, they do seem to
be actively developing it and adding, for me, great features.

I have used Darktable, as mentioned by Tomasz, it is really good for
manipulating the photos, especially Canon Raw, but I have never used it
(not even sure it can be) for catalog/tagging etc.

I have also tried Shotwell and F-Spot for a few minutes, and didn't find
them useful for my needs.  They seemed to be good at smaller libraries and
maybe where the photos were already sorted in directories etc (which I used
to do, but now just sort via a script into date directories).

My currently library, from main camera, grows at approx 8000 images per
year, add to that 2 or 3 phones and some other point and shoot cameras and
it could be a total growth of more than 10,000 images per year, so I am
very keen on a solution that works well.

> Mission impossible?
>
> Maybe not impossible, but elusive.  Will be following this thread closely.

Cheers,
Jeff.