[clug] HowtoForge, SourceForge and Github

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Fri Dec 11 08:20:37 UTC 2015

    Not that I have anything particularly against the USA, but is
there any other country that does IT ?(other than supporting that
which the USA creates/maintains)
I noticed that even with GitLab, MIT is mentioned.
History

Originally, the product was named GitLab and was full free and open
source software distributed under the MIT License.[7]

In July 2013,[8] the product was split:

    GitLab CE: Community Edition
    GitLab EE: Enterprise Edition

At that time, the license of GitLab CE and GitLab EE remained free and
open source software distributed under the MIT License.

In February 2014, GitLab B.V. announced[9] adoption of an Open core
business model. GitLab EE is set under a proprietary license, and
contains features not present in the CE version.[10]

In July 2015, the company raised an additional $1.5 million in seed
funding.[11] Customers as of 2015 included Alibaba Group, IBM, and
SpaceX.[11]

In September 2015, GitLab raised $4 million in Series A funding from
Khosla Ventures.[12]
With the population of China, I keep expecting that they would be able
to release a Open Source OS or something so that they are not
dependent on another country.  I know they say they are working on
something. I but I am looking for real solutions, not vapour ware or
hobby projects.

Anyway, to get back to GitLab. Thanks for the info, something for me
to read up about. I had heard you refer to GitLab before and thought
you were talking about Github by a different name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GitLab

GitLab is a web-based Git [1] repository manager with wiki and issue
tracking features. GitLab offers hosted accounts similar to GitHub
[2], but also allows its software to be used on third-party servers.

It is available as an Omnibus package [3].[2] [4]

The software was written by Dmitriy Zaporozhets from Ukraine [5]; the
CEO, Sytse Sijbrandij, is based in Utrecht [6]. The code is written in
Ruby [7]. The company has 27 salaried employees and more than 700 open
source [8] contributors. It is used by more than 100,000 organizations
including Jülich Research Center [9], NASA [10], Alibaba [11],
Invincea [12], O’Reilly Media [13], Leibniz-Rechenzentrum (LRZ) [14]
and CERN [15]. [16]

 [16] [17] [18] [19]

History
Originally, the product was named GitLab and was full free and open
source software distributed under the MIT License.[7]
In July 2013,[8] the product was split:
    GitLab CE: Community Edition
    GitLab EE: Enterprise Edition

At that time, the license of GitLab CE and GitLab EE remained free and
open source software distributed under the MIT License.

In February 2014, GitLab B.V. announced[9] adoption of an Open core
business model. GitLab EE is set under a proprietary license, and
contains features not present in the CE version.[10]

In July 2015, the company raised an additional $1.5 million in seed
funding.[11] Customers as of 2015 included Alibaba Group, IBM, and
SpaceX.[11]

In September 2015, GitLab raised $4 million in Series A funding from
Khosla Ventures.[12]

 [6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utrecht

Utrecht (/ˈjuːtrɛkt/ [20]; Dutch pronunciation: [ˈytrɛxt] [21] (
[22] listen [23])) is the capital and most populous city in the Dutch
province of Utrecht [24]. It is located in the eastern corner of the
Randstad [25] conurbation and is the fourth largest city [26] in the
Netherlands [27] with a population of 330,772 in 2014.

At Friday, 11-12-2015 on 12:47 Bob Edwards wrote:

On 11/12/15 09:16, George at Clug wrote:
>       Hi,
>
> Would anyone have any comments as to HowtoForge, SourceForge and
> Github ?
>
> There was something on the Internet about Addware and
SourceForge?  I

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_source_code_hosting_facilities
> HowtoForge, SourceForge and Github
> http://freelinuxtutorials.com/links/
>

> 2. HowtoForge
>

> _URL_: http://www.howtoforge.com _Description_:  Provides
> user-friendly Linux tutorials about almost every topic.
>

> 3. SourceForge.net
>

> _URL_:http://sourceforge.net
> _Description_ : It is the largest Open Source applications and
> software directory acting as a centralized location for software
> developers to control and manage open source software.  Simply the
> best site supporting free software.
>

> http://www.goodbyemicrosoft.net/news.php?item.22.2
> Linux hands know that SourceForge is an Internet site where source
> code (software) is "hammered out" in cooperative development. (Many
> open-source programs are developed there.) Now comes HowToForge [1],
> where Linux "How-To" guides and other documentation are being
created.
> Here's an example: "The Perfect Desktop - Part 3: Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy
> Eft" [2], a step-by-step guide to installing Ubuntu 6.10, including
> screenshots. (See also Part 1 [3], for Fedora Core 6, and Part 2
[4],
> for Mandriva Free 2007 distributions.)
>
> http://urlm.co.uk/www.howtoforge.com
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://www.howtoforge.com/
> [2] http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_ubuntu6.10
> [3] http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_fedora_core6
> [4] http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_mandriva_free2007

Hi George,

I see that no one has stepped up to answer your question(s) yet.

FlagFox says all three are located in the U.S.

Not answering any specific part of your questions, but possibly
relevant anyway, we have several instances of GitLab installed on
servers at ANU which we use in lieu of github.com in order to provide
a service that does not _require_ users to provide identity metadata
to a U.S.-based website. Hosting GitLab is not a doddle, but it is
not too complex either and definitely worth considering.

cheers,

Bob Edwards.

Links:
------