[clug] HowtoForge, SourceForge and Github

Bob Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Fri Dec 11 01:47:32 UTC 2015

On 11/12/15 09:16, George at Clug wrote:
>       Hi,
>
> Would anyone have any comments as to HowtoForge, SourceForge and
> Github ?
>
> There was something on the Internet about Addware and SourceForge?  I
> hope that incident is now over.
>
> Where are these systems originate from and/or are hosted from?  EU or
> USA?
>
> Are HowtoForge and SourceForge managed by the same people, if so who
> are they?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_source_code_hosting_facilities
> HowtoForge, SourceForge and Github
> http://freelinuxtutorials.com/links/
>

> 2. HowtoForge
>

> _URL_: http://www.howtoforge.com _Description_:  Provides
> user-friendly Linux tutorials about almost every topic.
>

> 3. SourceForge.net
>

> _URL_:http://sourceforge.net
> _Description_ : It is the largest Open Source applications and
> software directory acting as a centralized location for software
> developers to control and manage open source software.  Simply the
> best site supporting free software.
>

> http://www.goodbyemicrosoft.net/news.php?item.22.2
> Linux hands know that SourceForge is an Internet site where source
> code (software) is "hammered out" in cooperative development. (Many
> open-source programs are developed there.) Now comes HowToForge [1],
> where Linux "How-To" guides and other documentation are being created.
> Here's an example: "The Perfect Desktop - Part 3: Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy
> Eft" [2], a step-by-step guide to installing Ubuntu 6.10, including
> screenshots. (See also Part 1 [3], for Fedora Core 6, and Part 2 [4],
> for Mandriva Free 2007 distributions.)
>
> http://urlm.co.uk/www.howtoforge.com
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://www.howtoforge.com/
> [2] http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_ubuntu6.10
> [3] http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_fedora_core6
> [4] http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_mandriva_free2007

Hi George,

I see that no one has stepped up to answer your question(s) yet.

FlagFox says all three are located in the U.S.

Not answering any specific part of your questions, but possibly
relevant anyway, we have several instances of GitLab installed on
servers at ANU which we use in lieu of github.com in order to provide
a service that does not _require_ users to provide identity metadata
to a U.S.-based website. Hosting GitLab is not a doddle, but it is
not too complex either and definitely worth considering.

cheers,

Bob Edwards.