[clug] Mini-ITX NAS build vs Fractal Define R5 series

Boyd boydwilding at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 04:21:36 UTC 2015

I bought a cool little hot swap unit that fits in a 5.25inch optical drive
bay and houses 4 x 2.5inch disk,s a while back.
 Been using it for about 2 years now, very handy. Not that I swap disks
very often!

For SFF systems though, often the motherboard simply won't have the
required number of SATA ports, unless you spend up big on the board. So
watch out for that. But as far as fitting a lot into a small space, I like
it. if you've got 2 optical drive bays, that gives you 8 disks, probably
more than the number of SATA ports on most motherboards.

The only drawback for the one I have is that its tiny little cooling fan is
quite noisy, to the point where I'm tempted to rip it out.

Here is a photo of the unit, however not from aliexpress in lots of 10,
unfortunately can't remember where it came from. As you can see it is the
size of a CD drive:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Wholesale-4-bays-2-5-inch-Internal-Hard-Drive-Enclosure-fit-for-2-5-SSD-HDD/828363_1332539747.html