[clug] [this week] CLUG Meeting 2015-08-27 - Unit Tests, Fun? Evil? Still Useful?

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Mon Aug 24 01:44:31 UTC 2015

All

Canberra Linux Users Group Meeting - 27 August 2015

 Date:          27 August 2015 (Fourth Thursday of the month)

 Time:          18:15 - 18:55

 Abstract:     It's BeerSIG time!
               'What's BeerSIG?' I hear you ask! BeerSIG is a social
               gathering, and an opportunity to get together with
               like minded people and share a social pint
               or two before the meeting.

 Location:     Wig and Pen, Llewellyn Hall, Canberra School of Music
               Look for the table with a stuffed toy penguin

 Time:         19:00 - 21:00 (or when it finishes)

 Speaker:      Neill Cox

 Abstract:     Unit Tests. What they are, why you should do them and
               how they can make your life easier.

               Unit tests are an important discipline in writing
               deployable, maintainable code. Unit tests are not the
               only sort of testing you should be doing but they're the
               only sort I'm going to talk about.

               Examples will be given using python's unittest
               module/framework, with possible excursions into other
               tools like nose, tox and pytest. I'm not likely to cover
               any other languages, although there may be a small rant
               about JavaScript.

               I'll talk about why I really don't like unit tests, but
               dislike untested code even more.

               At the end of the talk I probably won't have convinced
               you that unit tests will solve all your problems (they
               won't) but hopefully you'll at least consider them a
               necessary evil.

 Venue:        Room N101
               Computer Science and Information Technology Building
               North Road
               The Australian National University

               See http://clug.org.au/ for more directions and a map

 Food/drink:   Pizza and soft drink/juice. Come hungry, and bring
               about $6 to cover the cost of your share if you
               want some.

I am looking forward to this one.

	See You
	    Steve

--
Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org http://svana.org/sjh/diary
i'm trying to feel my way around a book of promises written in braille