[clug] Removing older kernels

Owen Cook owen.cook at gmx.com
Sun Aug 16 03:09:55 UTC 2015

> Sent: Saturday, August 15, 2015 at 4:09 PM
> From: "Bryan Kilgallin" <bryan at netspeed.com.au>
> To: linux at lists.samba.org
> Subject: Re: [clug] Removing older kernels

> > Are you running Ubuntu 14.04.3 (Trusty Tahr)?
> > lsb_release -d
>
> No, that reported as follows.
> Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS
>
> My PC has processor: IntelĀ® Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz. Which is
> reportedly 32-bit. And therefore unable to run Ubuntu 14.04.
>
> > If not ignore the following.
>
> I take that to mean the entirety of the remainder of your message.
>
> I had been hoping to recover space.

If you are trying to save space, maybe look at /var/cache/apt/archives/ and delete the whole lot?

Also, look in /boot, you may well have a series of kernels that can be manually deleted. Depending on the number of kernel upgrades you have done, you will see a series of files like;

abi-3.13.0-37-generic
config-3.13.0-37-generic
initrd.img-3.13.0-37-generic
System.map-3.13.0-37-generic
vmlinuz-3.13.0-37-generic

So find the oldest (should be the one you are booting), it might be something like vmlinuz-3.13.0-55-generic, and delete the rest.

 # rm *0-37*

and that should leave only the ones with 0-55 in their name.

Owen