[clug] Cloud + rsync + backup

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 05:30:53 UTC 2015

>> Or do you mean I rsync the encfs filesystem?
>
> That one.
>
> So you have /data which the reverse ecnfs mount on /encfs.  Then you rdiff-backup /encfs.
>
> If it's done "right" you'll only transfer the differences between today and yesterday.
>
> The data that lands on $remote will be encrypted and the keys never leave you system.

I'm starting to like this one. I'd be skipping the rdiff-backup step
and just pointing the google drive desktop client at /encfs  It seems
to handle a huge nest of files pretty efficiently. If I'm feeling real
game I could then also reverse mount /encfs from my current dirvish
backup at which point I'll also have backup.

I wonder what the google drive thing does with a massive nest of
hardlinks, probably copies the file multiple times which will eat
quota pretty quick.