[clug] Cloud + rsync + backup

matt andrews wantok at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 03:16:26 UTC 2015

On 3 August 2015 at 12:57, Eyal Lebedinsky <eyal at eyal.emu.id.au> wrote:
> Can you periodically merge the remote full+diffs into a new full backup
> without any transfer?

No, I don't think so: it's designed to (have the option to) use remote
backends like S3 which are just dumb object stores.

> I understand that some backups actually keep 'current' and reverse diffs
> which can be trimmed when not required. This way you never need to
> re-upload.

That's a nice approach - rdiff-backup being a good example.  Duplicity
always deals in forward increments, I believe.  There are commands to
do things like clean out increment files beyond a certain age, etc,
but that's just about saving storage, not transfer.