[clug] Cloud + rsync + backup

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 01:39:26 UTC 2015

Anyone have some wisdom to share here?  I'm looking at things like:

   https://github.com/HolgerHees/cloudsync

But it's java.... There's also this thing:

   http://www.duplicati.com/

Ideally I want a file level encrypted remote backup (to Google Drive)
with keys kept locally, connection via ADSL so it has to be
incremental. Some keep a full image and incrementals, some (like
rsync-backup) keep a current version up to date and keep diffs back to
a previous state. It doesn't seem that rsync supports encryption?

I'm curious as to how a restore happens if all you have is a key. I
take it isn't going to happen if you don't keep a backup of your key
somewhere!

If it helps I currently use dirvish for local backups and rsync the
current state of things to a geographically distant thing.

ta