[clug] Linux GUI prog to test latex

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Wed Apr 22 08:34:17 MDT 2015

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015, Hal Ashburner wrote:

> Thanks Ivan,
> I'm sure that's a great suggestion. I'm going to baulk at emacs myself
> which I'm sure reveals my shortcomings as a human being.
>
> I really just want something that does exactly what this website does,
> but offline.
> http://www.texrendr.com/

OK, so my workflow isn't that fancy.

I edit the tex file in $VISUAL (typically emacs).

In a shell I run "watch make document.pdf" (which handily tells me how
I've screwed up *this time*).

I have "evince" running which polls for changes to the generated pdf and
automatically refreshes itself.

Just thought I'd throw that in there....

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek.
pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au	      |   You need a bigger hammer.