[clug] TextSecure, GPLv3 encrypted chat for Android

Jeff NotTelling smee.heee at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 19:26:55 MDT 2015

On 19 April 2015 at 20:50, Chris Smart <clug at christophersmart.com> wrote:

> I know that a few CLUG members already use this, but it seems good
> software so I thought I'd mention it in case others aren't aware.
>
> TextSecure is a free software, OTR based chat program[1] that uses
> end-to-end encryption (Curve25519, AES-256, HMAC-SHA256) with perfect
> forward secrecy. It's available on Android[2] and also on iOS (called
> Signal).
>
> Originally it supported encryption of SMS as well as chat, however this
> has recently been removed[2] (unencrypted SMS support remains though).

Hey Chris/CLUG,

Can you confirm where it says that SMS encryption has been removed?  I use
this, and as far as I can see it still provides encrypted SMS "where
possible"  -> as in where the other party uses the TextSecure as well,
otherwise it obviously downgrades to clear text.

I did follow the links, but couldn't see where they state this has been
removed.  I could have easily missed it, so just checking.

Cheers,
Jeff.