[clug] linux Digest, Vol 148, Issue 13

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 00:05:03 MDT 2015

On 13/04/15 11:12, Brenton Ross wrote:
> Scott,
>
> my reaction would be to use mplayer to set the start and end points of
> the edits into an "edl" list. See the mplayer docs for details.
> Then I would use ffmpeg to perform the deletes.

Thanks Brenton

> (In practice I use my PVR to do this step, so I have not actually tried
> the above.)
>
> What I am now looking for is something to mask the station identifier
> blobs that are scattered over the running movies.

Three methods I've found. The simplest one seems to be to use VirtualDub,
http://neuron2.net/delogo132/delogo.html
http://compression.ru/video/logo_removal/index_en.html

you could also attempt to do it manually with mplayer's delogo or remove
logo, but it's fiddly.
delogo[=x:y:w:h:t]
remove-logo=/path/to/logo_bitmap_file_name.pgm

The most effective way is probably too much of an investment for most -
use a custom designed FPGA
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/television-logo-killer/msg434376/?PHPSESSID=4057d76234d87655056437d1d800056f#msg434376

Note that the person behind that is not too far away.

> Brenton

>> Message: 1
>> Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 10:43:12 +1000
>> From: Scott Ferguson <scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com>
>> To: CLUG List <linux at lists.samba.org>
>> Subject: [clug] RTL2832U, SDR, Avidemux and editing out advertising
>> 	from recorded television
>>
>> I recently purchased a cheap RTL2832U chipset TV stick for use as a SDR
>> and GPS.
>> Digital Energy Mini Digital TV Stick, BlazeVide HDTV Player (RTL2838
>> DVB-T+DAB+FM)
>> It took a little fiddling to get it fully working on Wheezy with
>> backports, but I did take notes if anyone needs help getting one working.
>>
>> As a TV recorder it works well and I'm now looking at way to remove ads
>> from the recordings. I've used Avidemux in the past but it's now a
>> challenge to use on a stable box.
>>
>> Any suggestions on how to do this?
>> I don't really want to dedicate a box to it, but would consider chroot
>> or VirtualBox solutions. I also have a Crossover Office license if WINE
>> is useful.
>>
>> I've not had much experience with MythTV - and I'm not much of a TV
>> watcher anyway so I'm not particularly interested in setting one up (I'm
>> pretty happy with XBMC). But I've heard MythTV has the ability to remove
>> ads from recordings... anyone used that facility?
>>
>> Any suggestions and experiences in removing ads from recorded TV are
>> appreciated (as long as they work on Linux).
>>

>> Kind regards

Kind regards