[clug] RTL2832U, SDR, Avidemux and editing out advertising from recorded television

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 23:57:12 MDT 2015

On 12/04/15 13:59, Stephen Hocking wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> I've been running MythTV since about 2003/4, and the automatic
> commercial detection is a bit hit & miss, or was the last time I tried
> it a few years ago. It does have a good video editor, which together
> with lossless transcoding, gives good results. I'm running my backend in
> a VM, with it talking to a couple of HDHomeruns over the net. Most of
> the hypervisors will allow PCI & USB passthrough to VMs, so I think
> you'd be OK.

Thanks Stephen - I'd read the docs on MythTV commercial detection
parameters and was dubious about it's reliability.

I'm sure someone has looked at using sound compression levels to detect
ads - but couldn't quickly find any references. I know the Japanese
video recorders reliably remove ads on the basis of shows/movies having
multiple languages and ads having none - but couldn't find any
references to software projects that do the same.

I'll have a look at what MythTV uses for video editing, I'd prefer to
use a frame based editor to avoid those fade transition relics. Avidemux
is great for simple frame based edits - and has the added advantage that
it also works natively with most video formats which save a lot of time
transcoding.

I found Comskip which seems fairly useful for marking ads, which I could
later feed the output of into ffmpeg (as another poster suggested) to
autochop the ads out.

Comskip requires WINE:-
http://www.kaashoek.com/comskip/