[clug] RTL2832U, SDR, Avidemux and editing out advertising from recorded television

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 18:43:12 MDT 2015

I recently purchased a cheap RTL2832U chipset TV stick for use as a SDR
and GPS.
Digital Energy Mini Digital TV Stick, BlazeVide HDTV Player (RTL2838
DVB-T+DAB+FM)
It took a little fiddling to get it fully working on Wheezy with
backports, but I did take notes if anyone needs help getting one working.

As a TV recorder it works well and I'm now looking at way to remove ads
from the recordings. I've used Avidemux in the past but it's now a
challenge to use on a stable box.

Any suggestions on how to do this?
I don't really want to dedicate a box to it, but would consider chroot
or VirtualBox solutions. I also have a Crossover Office license if WINE
is useful.

I've not had much experience with MythTV - and I'm not much of a TV
watcher anyway so I'm not particularly interested in setting one up (I'm
pretty happy with XBMC). But I've heard MythTV has the ability to remove
ads from recordings... anyone used that facility?

Any suggestions and experiences in removing ads from recorded TV are
appreciated (as long as they work on Linux).

Kind regards