[clug] Flashing the Neo FreeRunner

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.clug at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 01:16:47 MDT 2015

On 07/04/15 13:34, Bob Edwards wrote:
> On 07/04/15 13:21, Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> On 07/04/15 12:39, Bob Edwards wrote:
>>> On 06/04/15 18:27, Bryan Kilgallin wrote:
>>>
>>> Flashing the firmware of a Neo FreeRunner (or any other embedded device)
>>> is a process that requires a certain degree of expertise and/or bravado.
>>
>> *And* an escape plan...(i.e. how will you recover if it fails) ;p
>
> "expertise" => an escape plan
> "bravado" => escape plans are for sissies
> (=> : implies)

Bravado, is that a new type of Open FTP server that real techs use for
backups?

1st Rule of all good software engineering projects is to chose a good name.

Bravado Unsecured Megaupload FTP - fearless backups (now in the new
Cloud flavour - silver lining extra).

I like it! :)

>> I suspect Brian is referring to /proc/bus/usb on the Neo Freerunner
>>

>>> So as instructed, I used the command: "sudo mount -t usbfs usbfs
>>> /proc/bus/usb".
>>> But this error resulted: "mount: mount point /proc/bus/usb does not
>>> exist".
>
> implies Bryan is trying this on his Ubuntu PC, but maybe he should be
> doing it on the FreeRunner?

Agree - it does imply he's "doing" it his Ubuntu. (just not that he's
about to chroot Ubuntu).

He can do "it"[*1] a number of ways. Brian looks to be using dfu which
flashes the BOOTLOADER, KERNEL, and ROOTFS over USB (host-side from his
Ubuntu box).

You 'might' find NeoTool a little simpler to use Brian.
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/NeoTool

Though I'd suggest trying, slightly less risky, chroot "installs" to
SDCard before flashing the firmware. Debian perhaps?
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianOnFreeRunner

NOTE: not all SDCards are equal
http://wiki.openmoko.org/index.php?title=Supported_microSD_cards

[*1] but, as usual, I be misinformed ;)