[clug] Seeking FOSS Hypervisor and Management GUI

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Tue Sep 30 17:03:18 MDT 2014

What are you using for an FOSS or OpenSource Hypervisor and Management
GUI,_ if you are using any_? .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open-source_software
Free and open-source software (FOSS) is computer software [1] that can
be classified as both free software [2] _and_ open source software
[3].

I am still a little confused regards the differences between Xen and
XenServer. Xen could be the community edition of XenServer which is
the propriety Citrix version which they may have also released to Open
Source while offering paid support (I found conflicting statements
regards the "open"ness of XenServer).

I am Looking for a FOSS GUI management tool for Xen that was not tied
to a commercial version was very difficult. Maybe Ganeti, OpenNebula
or OpenXenManager ?
http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Management_Tools
https://github.com/OpenXenManager/openxenmanager
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/openxenmanager.html
     OpenXenManager is an open-source multiplatform clone of
Citrix XenCenter. It is written in Python, using pyGTK for its
interface.
http://opennebula.org/about/contributors/
http://opennebula.org/about/project/
     Since its first public release of software in March 2008, it
has evolved through open-source releases and now operates as an open
source project.
https://code.google.com/p/ganeti/

These products did not seem to match FOSS (FOSS would exclude words
like "price" and "license");
https://xen-orchestra.com/pricing.html
http://www.openqrm-enterprise.com/products/enterprise-edition/pricing-and-licensing.html
http://www.citrix.com/products/xenserver/buy.html (How to Buy
XenServer)
http://www.zentific.com/ (For questions, pre-sales...)
http://www.convirture.com/support_enterprise.php
http://www.convirture.com/support_opensource.php

====My research
notes==================================================

Open Source means that you have influence over the direction of the
code. You are not at the mercy of some immovable external organization
which may have priorities which do not align with your organization.
You can participate and help ensure that your needs are heard in the
process. And you never have to worry that some entity has decided to
terminate the product for business reasons. An Open Source project
will live as long as there are parties interested in advancing the
software.

Who Uses the Xen Project Code?

Our hypervisor has a user base in the millions, that include cloud
providers such as Amazon Web Services, Rackspace Hosting, Verizon
Cloud and many others. You may also want to check out the Directory
for vendors, products, projects, services and research related to the
Xen Project.

http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Beginners_Guide

http://www.openqrm-enterprise.com/resources/documentation-howtos/howtos/virtualization-with-xen-and-openqrm-51-on-debian-wheezy.html

http://sourceforge.net/projects/openqrm/files/latest/download

http://www.citrix.com/products/xenserver/overview.html

https://xen-orchestra.com/pricing.html
http://www.openqrm-enterprise.com/products/enterprise-edition/pricing-and-licensing.html
http://www.citrix.com/products/xenserver/buy.html (How to Buy
XenServer)
http://www.zentific.com/ (For questions, pre-sales...)
http://www.convirture.com/support_enterprise.php
http://www.convirture.com/support_opensource.php

http://xenserver.org/get-support.html
Citrix XenServer subscription offers customers 24x7 worldwide support,
commercial license protections and the ability to apply hotfixes via
the XenCenter user interface in a seamless and easy to understand way.

http://blogs.citrix.com/2013/06/25/xenserver-6-2-is-now-fully-open-source/

XenServer 6.2 is now fully open source!

It’s an exciting day for Citrix, our customers and the open source
community as we announce some BIG news for Citrix XenServer. Today we
cross another major milestone as XenServer moves to a full open source
model beginning with the new XenServer 6.2. Cutting right to the
chase, here are the highlights that I’ll go into more detail on:

    XenServer 6.2 is available as a free open source virtualization
platform for all users
    Citrix is also introducing a new XenServer.org community portal
    Citrix provides a paid version of XenServer that includes
support and maintenance
    New CPU socket licensing
    New simplified packaging and pricing

http://blogs.citrix.com/2013/06/25/xenserver-6-2-is-now-fully-open-source/
Introducing the New XenServer.org Community

On top of all the product announcements, we’re also excited to
introduce the new XenServer.org community portal to provide source
code access as well as drive innovation and discussion around server
virtualization and cloud. To learn more about the community, what it
means to you and how to participate go check out XenServer.org. But
who better to talk about the community than Lars Kurth, the Community
Director of XenServer.org so for the full story take a look at his
blog on XenServer.org.

Links:
------
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_software