[clug] Linux Certification?

matt andrews matt at mattandrews.id.au
Wed Sep 3 19:51:53 MDT 2014

On 3 September 2014 16:03, Paul <mylists at wilsononline.id.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>  I'm currently "in between jobs" and wondering if there is any value in
> getting some sort of official Linux Certification.
> I have been using Linux at home for several years now probably around 8
> years, so is there a recommended certification I can do to that's not too
> expensive and will be useful for future jobs?

As opposed to actual certification, there's this certificate from O'Reilly:
http://www.oreillyschool.com/certificate-programs/linuxunix-administration/

I did it a while back. About $US1600 plus about $20/month in 'lab fees'
from memory.  It used to be delivered (under the O'Reilly name) by the
illustrious U Illinios Urbana-Champaign but I think that's changed now to
an in-house O'Reilly operation.

It doesn't really cover much more than the basics of Linux sysadmin; it's a
certificate, but you can't call it certification.