[clug] Linux Certification?

Michael Carden crash at michaelcarden.net
Wed Sep 3 02:02:47 MDT 2014

The two Linux certifications that I'm familiar with are the Linux
Professional Institute (LPI) ones and the various Red Hat varieties.

These two camps differ significantly in their approaches both to skills
evaluation and to educational methodology. There was a really interesting
LCA presentation on the LPI philosophy back in 2005 which discussed their
background and their methods. The most obvious difference between LPI and
RH is that the LPI testing is done with paper and pen[0] and no access to a
computer, while the Red Hat tests tend to be a bit more practical involving
a live system that you have to work on.

I can't comment on how useful certs are in getting a job, but I have my LPI
cert listed on my resume and I currently have an all-day-every-day Linux
job.

--
MC
[0] Well they were approx 10 years ago when I did mine.