[clug] Why do we do what we do in Linux? [was Re: Text editor]

steve jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Tue Oct 28 06:51:21 MDT 2014

On 28 Oct 2014, at 11:13 pm, Bryan Kilgallin <bryan at netspeed.com.au> wrote:

> I feel that's telling me to Q@#%$ ^ off! I am a Linux user--albeit a beginner.

Bryan, I’d swear at you if I meant to. If I was tell you to get lost you’d know it,.

You showed your disdain at the suggestion to read the Unix Philosophy, or any of its heritage, so you might understand why its different, what its trying to do and the 'rules of engagement’.

Now when I’m trying to educate you on how Linux is a very different beast to what you imagine, you think I’m trying to piss you off.

Unix was built by programmers to held them do _their_ work.
Linux and most FOSS tools are built by people _for themselves_.

It’s a different paradigm. You need to understand this. It’s a central point.

Believe it or not, you have been cut a huge amount of slack because you’re a beginner.
Not just by me, but quite a few people on this list.