[clug] 3 monitor cards on linux

George at Clug Clug at goproject.info
Fri Oct 17 03:34:17 MDT 2014

    Steve,

The Nvidia card that I used for testing 3 Monitors with was a Nvidia
GeForce GTX 660.  I would suspect that later models would also
support 3 monitors but I don'[t have any later models to test with. I
did test with a Nvidia GeForce 610 but it could only support two
monitors (Windows or Linux). I am now using Windows for my 3 monitor
system. The main thing that stopped me from staying with a three
monitor linux step up was I could not get RDP working as well as I
effectively in Debian 7.

The Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 uses more power and has more fans than I
appreciate.

Can I ask, what is it that you want to achieve? What resolutions of
monitors do you want?  And would you not prefer four monitors?

I am look forward to a single, curved, 60" 4K monitor. I wonder if
Samsung will ever release such a device?

George.

At Friday, 17-10-2014 on 16:51 Steve Walsh wrote:

On 10/14/2014 03:26 PM, Kim Holburn wrote:
> Has anyone got any of the three monitor cards working with 3
monitors under linux?

> Any recommendations?  Any pitfalls?
>
> Kim

I have a Nvidia GT640 supporting 3 monitors under Scientific Linux via

the Nvidia kmod drivers. I got bitten on a slightly lower-spec Nvidia
card that even thought it had 3 outputs, turned out that it could only

actually drive 2 at a time.

Apart from that, the hardest part was convincing nvidia-settings and
xorg that the layout I wanted did actually work (vertical - horizontal
-
horizontal), and to stretch the workspaces across all three, with one
"screen" being a totally different orientation to the others.

regards