[clug] 3 monitor cards on linux

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Thu Oct 16 23:51:24 MDT 2014

On 10/14/2014 03:26 PM, Kim Holburn wrote:
> Has anyone got any of the three monitor cards working with 3 monitors under linux?
>
> Any recommendations?  Any pitfalls?
>
> Kim

I have a Nvidia GT640 supporting 3 monitors under Scientific Linux via
the Nvidia kmod drivers. I got bitten on a slightly lower-spec Nvidia
card that even thought it had 3 outputs, turned out that it could only
actually drive 2 at a time.

Apart from that, the hardest part was convincing nvidia-settings and
xorg that the layout I wanted did actually work (vertical - horizontal -
horizontal), and to stretch the workspaces across all three, with one
"screen" being a totally different orientation to the others.

regards