[clug] Fwd: Delivery failure to <crash at michaelcarden.net> ...

Bryan Kilgallin bryan at netspeed.com.au
Sat Nov 29 01:25:34 MST 2014

Thanks for the explanation, Scott:

> Dear Bryan, your desire to learn Linux, and how to use mailing lists,
> is commendable.

I have been reading early editions of a Ubuntu magazine, to start at the
beginning in a readable format!

> replies to list posts should go to the list - unless the poster asks
> to be CCed (i.e. they are not subscribers)

I often find interpersonal communication difficulties. Having some
aspects of Asperger Syndrome, I require "unspoken expectations",
"reading between the lines" to be instead stated explicitly.

> *unless* a poster invites direct emails there is always the risk they
> don't welcome them

I get confused by the ethics of this. Telling without listening is
surely (a common) bad communication style! "Hey listen to me--no, I
won't listen to you!". :-[

> some (of us?) employ a variety of mechanisms to prevent or frustrate
> our posts to public forums being harvested by spam bots - so do not
> expect emails to the email address published on list to act in a
> predictable manner.

Deliberately frustrating communication, and unwillingness to listen, I
found in the public service! I thought this was just the mark of a
technical manager.

> [*1] you probably already know this, so *please* don't be offended,
> many of us post to public lists with the expectation that the
> information 'may' be useful to current and future readers - not just
> the person being addressed.

I had slackly neglected to post the address of Full Circle issue #0.
That is as follows.
http://dl.fullcirclemagazine.org/issue0_en.pdf

--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/