[clug] Desktop commandline & remote embedded device

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Sat Nov 15 01:07:33 MST 2014

On 15/11/14 18:27, Bryan Kilgallin wrote:
> My Openmoko phone has restricted busybox Linux software. Whereas my desktop PC has a much larger suite of commandline programs.
> I wanted to use the Desktop PC's commandline programs to interrogate the phone. But I didn't know how to tell the former to look at the latter, which ws connected via SSH.
>
> Specifically I tried using lscpu. The error message told me that it was looking for /proc/cpuinfo. So I used the phone to vi that file.
>
> The commandline connection method is as follows.
> ssh root at 192.168.0.202
>
> How can I instruct my PC's commandline programs (lscpu in the above example) to query the phone instead of the PC?

You cannot do this. Once you ssh to your phone you can only use executables provided there.
Your original system (the PC) runs the ssh client which does nothing more that move
characters to, and from the ssh server on the phone.

This is different than querying a file system (e.g. a disk over USB, nfs, smb etc.), where
once you mount it in your system you can use your native commands to access it.

cheers

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au)