[clug] Ash command types

Bryan Kilgallin bryan at netspeed.com.au
Mon Nov 3 02:39:34 MST 2014

Thanks again, Brenton:

>       * ash - a lightweight shell -
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almquist_shell

Reported as "sh", ash is my Openmoko phone's default shell.

I found a list of Ash commands on the following page.
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/AshCommands

Using a terminal window via SSH into the phone, I tried each command in
turn as an argument to the "type" command.

Though the following were reported as "not found":
     * builtin;
     * fc;
     * help; and
     * setvar.

Most of the rest were reported as being "shell builtins".

However the following were described as "special shell builtins":
     * break;
     * continue;
     * eval;
     * exec;
     * exit;
     * export;
     * readonly;
     * return;
     * set;
     * shift;
     * times;
     * trap; and
     * unset.

What is the difference between a shell builtin and a special shell builtin?

--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/