[clug] edX

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Sat Nov 1 15:05:54 MDT 2014

On 1 Nov 2014, at 17:34, Bryan Kilgallin <bryan at netspeed.com.au> wrote:

> Thanks, Alex:
>
>> One option is to use a gmail account specially created for the purpose of subscribing, and provide fake details (name, address, etc).
>
> I wondered whether any list subscriber had MOOC experience, to help get me over my phobia!

I’ve had a University education the “normal” way. Your privacy is just as violated either way: records can be requisitioned by just about anyone.

You just have to weigh for yourself whether the information you’re trading is worth the eduction you hope to achieve. In the case of MOOC, you’re basically leaking contact details so they can give you access to courses.

Sure, some McCarthyist government might use those records to purge the world of people who know enough electronics to build an encryption device, but the chances of that being successful are slim.

Alex